Monday, October 3, 2011

Hola, OMBRE

You should probably know that when I get bored... shit goes down.  The other day my hair was in the line of fire, and I decided to dye, no dye and BLEACH it at the same time.  When I itch for change, I go big.


This is what I had before mission FRY-HAIR began.  A loverly dark red, purple in certain lighting.  WHY MEL? WHY GET RID OF IT??

Well, random reader asking rhetorical questions that require an answer in a confusing paradoxical way, my hair grows super fast (some say its because I think too many dirty thoughts).  This is the growth only a month after dying it! SO. Tools to conquer my dirty thoughts.
AHEM you are in the way, fluffy one.
Here's what I bought specifically for this project:

Kaleidocolors tonal powder lightener in BLUE
Salon Care 30 Vol. creme developer
Colorful Protein Color Filler in #6 GOLD
Red-Gold corrector PLUS
iON Color Brilliance in DARKEST BROWN

Now, I didn't just want to dye it all one color, oh no that's just too simple and I'm much too complicated for that.  Ombre hair seemed like a viable solution to curing my dirty minded roots and short attention span.  What is ombre? It's basically a coloring technique that gradually goes from one color to another, typically with lighter ends.
comme des celebres~

Ideally, I would not turn into Drew Barrymore, but here's where I started.

Since my hair was already dyed, I tried to protect it from further torture by using a protein color filler.  Let it sit for 20 minutes, or one episode of Russian Dolls.  Oh yea. I watch trashy TV, like IQ-lowering stuff.... yeaaaaaa anyways. After washing it out (no shampoo!) I dryed it.

BLEACHING.
Mix up gunk according to package directions, and apply gunk to end of hair.
NOTE: if you apply all the bleach at once, it will ALL be the same color.  To get your ends lighter than the mid section of your hair, the bleach has to be there longer! SO, start with about 2 inches at the ends to bleach.  Watch another episode of Russian Dolls. Then apply bleach to another inch of hair, reapplying to the ends you've already done.  Continue until you think you've gone high enough, or when you run out of episodes of Russian Dolls to watch.  

Now, this still doesn't solve those nasty red roots have, so I'm going to dye my roots a natural black at the same time the bleach is developing.  
 Apply to roots and the hair that isn't being bleached.  When done, wrap ends in foil and watch a full episode of Teen Mom.

BAM. turns out when you bleach red hair, it gets REDDER. But me gusta. And no more roots that give away my dirty thoughts!
Now, my ends did not feel fabulous, but after a few deep conditioning treatments (I use Frederic Fekkai 3-Minute Technician Color Care Hair Mask) It has almost fully recovered from my torture.  Maybe I'll bleach the ends a bit more for more differentiation (muahahaha!)  

Until next time, pilgrims. XOXO


 

1 comment:

  1. HEHEHE ME LIKE and YOU ARE GORGEOUS and of course your hair is too ;)

    ReplyDelete